Sign in to follow this  
Yldrania

Random Facts Thread

72 posts in this topic

The three elven rings, Nenya, Narya and Vilya, were not forged by Sauron, but by an elf-lord named Celebrimbor.

On 2017-5-24 at 8:03 PM, Yldrania said:

People can suffer from a psychological disorder called Boanthropy that makes them believe that they are a cow. They try to live their life as a cow.

I need one of these people xD

The reason the taste of artificial banana flavouring and artificial banana flavoured products doesn’t taste like bananas is because it is based on a type of banana that was wiped out by a plague in the 1950’s.

J.R.R. Tolkien, the author of Lord of the Rings didn’t invent the Elvish languages to fit into the Lord of the Rings timeline, but wrote Lord of the Rings as a background history for the 15 different languages he created.

American college, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, deems certain students who take courses in Pistol Marksmanship, Archery, Sailing and Fencing as certified ‘Pirates’.

3 hours ago, Burdok said:

Ancient Greeks thought gingers were vampires :)

They weren't wrong! ?

The Himalayan Honey Bee -largest of the honey bees – makes a hallucinogenic honey that tribes collect.

The song "I will always love you" that made Whitney Houston a hit was actually written and originally performed by Dolly Parton 

4 hours ago, Yldrania said:

The national animal of Scotland is the Unicorn.

You will never take their Unicorn's Freedom!!! 

Billy goats urinate on their own heads to smell more attractive to females.

On 29/06/2017 at 9:52 PM, Yldrania said:

Billy goats urinate on their own heads to smell more attractive to females.

Maybe that's what I've been missing all these years xD

The solar system is around 4.6 billion years old. Scientist estimate that it will probably last another 5000 million years

Facebook Addiction Disorder is an actual disorder identified by psychologists. 

Well, I'm an astrophysicists, so I have an intresting fact for you. Every piece of gold, silvers, all your jewelry at all comes from dying stars. You're literally wearing echo and parts from very last moments of a star's life. :)

On 4-7-2017 at 8:11 PM, alkhadias said:

Well, I'm an astrophysicists, so I have an intresting fact for you. Every piece of gold, silvers, all your jewelry at all comes from dying stars. You're literally wearing echo and parts from very last moments of a star's life. :)

Yea, and not only the most heavy elements like jewelry come from supernova explosions. Great parts of our own bodies and most things on earth (including the earth) are made from stardust also.
We are just 'borrowing' the necessary atoms for our bodies and after we die, something else will use those same atoms again. Recycling at its best.

Edited by Dalrok

On 04/07/2017 at 6:39 PM, Yldrania said:

Facebook Addiction Disorder is an actual disorder identified by psychologists. 

Murica!!!

4 hours ago, Dalrok said:

Yea, and not only the most heavy elements like jewelry come from supernova explosions. Great parts of our own bodies and most things on earth (including the earth) are made from stardust also.
We are just 'borrowing' the necessary atoms for our bodies and after we die, something else will use those same atoms again. Recycling at its best.

Yeah, thinking that way makes everything in Universe made of stardust, and that's true. A lil bit different things are mentioned here. Also this recycling isn't that obvious for us, that's one of the biggest unsolved physical problems for us. Same states and theories that aren't known yet sometimes makes me feel terrible while preparing prelections for students or listners. :) But in smaller scale, that's right. At some points our atoms will create something new, I hope so!

Scientists usually omit left-handed people from tests because their brain works differently.

On 6-7-2017 at 5:07 PM, alkhadias said:

Yeah, thinking that way makes everything in Universe made of stardust, and that's true. A lil bit different things are mentioned here.

Yes I believe you only meant the heavy elements produced by the extreme gravitational forces from the supernova event itself rather than the lighter elements produced by the nuclear reactions from the star that were already created before the supernova event. Still the supernova event will have to happen to spread the atoms so they can eventually form nebulae which in time will form new stars and planets.

On 6-7-2017 at 5:07 PM, alkhadias said:

Also this recycling isn't that obvious for us, that's one of the biggest unsolved physical problems for us. Same states and theories that aren't known yet sometimes makes me feel terrible while preparing prelections for students or listners. :) But in smaller scale, that's right. At some points our atoms will create something new, I hope so!

Interesting for sure, but before I'll make this into an astrophysicists thread, I'm gonna stop and say you can always send me a pm with those theories if you want.

As for a random fact of my own:
Molecules we breathe are redistributed evenly in our atmosphere within a number of centuries. Every breath you take (?) has been associated with another living organism. It could even be possible that you breathe some of the same molecules Julius Caesar breathed.

Edited by Dalrok

Sure, I've wrote few papers and articles about said topic. I can send them, but it'll take a while before i translate them. Some laboratory observations are 30+ pages long, and I'm not used to write in english like my colleagues, because my listners are mostly nationals, on genetics interests group I have mostly foreigners thou, but I'm not leading them usually. :)

So there's a random fact from me. From arithmetic point of view 1 isn't really finite number. In fact it's record isn't always finite. We can prove that 1 is actually equal to 1, but that's also equal to 0,(9). So: 1=1=0,(9)=0,999.... :)